[Xymon] Curl client

Ralph Mitchell ralphmitchell at gmail.com
Fri May 3 16:57:08 CEST 2019

I did the same a few years ago.  DoD was beginning to insist all network
traffic be encrypted, and I was just trying to get Xymon approved for
monitoring.  Rather than get into a recurring fight to justify plain text
on port 1984, I set up xymoncgimsg.cgi and wrote the delivery script to
talk to it.  I don't have all possible options covered, but I'm the only
one writing stuff for it...

I think it is responsible for a ton of junk showing up, though.  That
mainly manifests as graphs with weird names, or graphs that clearly don't
belong to the server they show up under.  I suspect that the webserver
doesn't always terminate the thread when the incoming connection drops,
so xymoncgimsg.cgi gets some or all of the report from the next server to
connect.  As well as oddly named disk and inode graphs, I also get graphs
with nanoseconds-since-time-began kind of numbers.

I'm looking forward to getting a xymon release with builtin encryption.

Ralph Mitchell