[Xymon] Call for 4.3.29 Patches

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Wed Mar 27 00:41:54 CET 2019

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 04:23:33PM -0700, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> >* 66_apache2.4.patch: Some Apache 2.4 fixes. Since Apache 2.2 is End
> >   of Life already, IMHO you do not need to care for the old syntax
> >   anymore. Then again, some distributions with long-term support might
> >   still have Apache 2.2, so you might want to cross-check if that has
> >   some impact there.
>
> while Apache 2.2 is EOL, there are a LOT of distros and
> installations that still have it running running back ports.

So far I only can come up with RHEL/CentOS 6, Debian 7 Wheezy ELTS
(EoL in about two months) and Ubuntu 12.04 ESM (i.e. paid-only LTS)
who still provide Apache 2.2.

At least Wheezy and Ubuntu 12.04 ship Xymon out of the box and I would
be surprised if anyone on these releases follows upstream source code
instead of using the distro-provided packages (with older Xymon
versions).

So probably the only still relevant distro shipping Apache 2.2 is
RHEL/CentOS 6. JC probably knows better how wide-spread Xymon is
there.

> I'd say it costs nothing to leave in

IMHO the cost is primarily to figure out if a case switch is needed
between Apache 2.2 and 2.4.

The patch _is_ needed if you want to run your Apache 2.4 without
mod_access_compat — which probably will vanish in some future Apache
release as its sole purpose is to provide Apache 2.2
authentication/authorization syntax in Apache 2.4, i.e. needs to be
applied at some point in the future for sure.

> and has the potential of creating a lot of heartache by taking it
> out...

Only if there are people out there who don't rely on distro-built
packages and want the newest version of Xymon on their oldest boxes,

		Kind regards, Axel
--
PGP: 2FF9CD59612616B5      /~\  Plain Text Ribbon Campaign, http://arc.pasp.de/
Mail: abe at deuxchevaux.org  \ /  Say No to HTML in E-Mail and Usenet