[Xymon] [External] Windows XymonPSClient feature request

Beck, Zak zak.beck at accenture.com
Thu Mar 21 14:55:01 CET 2019

Hi

Interesting, yes, we don’t have any guards against that and it does happen (I've seen it too).

Quick dump of my thoughts:

Firstly, this should only be an issue for async tasks. The client blocks for sync tasks and so you shouldn't get them stacking up - this is a potential solution for your issue which then becomes why do I have so many purple clients 🙂. However, you might want to add a timeout for sync tasks and the way it's written should make this reasonably easy.

For tasks with a maxtime, we're going to need to store the process object along with the start time and duration. In fact to keep things simple, I would suggest storing this anyway even if maxtime = 0 (which I'd use to mean indefinite).

One consideration is that by default, the client only runs every five minutes - so the shortest duration we can act on is five minutes or multiples of. For that reason I'd suggest that maxtime should be an integer expressed in minutes without further suffixes.

Zak