[Xymon] Encrypted Xymon reporting over SSL using stunnel (was: RES: Is the xymon Dead? Future)

Axel Beckert abe at deuxchevaux.org
Fri Mar 8 17:09:07 CET 2019

Hi Ralph,

On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 10:40:55AM -0500, Ralph Mitchell wrote:
> I'd still like to see encrypted connections for Xymon client messages going
> to the server.

Yeah, this definitely is a feature which would be very nice to
available out of the box.

Nevertheless you can do that already now with stunnel as I mentioned:

> > (And yes, I'm still hoping and waiting for IPv6 support, too,
> > especially in xymonnet-based checks. Reporting to IPv6-only servers is
> > no issue though, if you anyways use stunnel to encrypt the
> > client-reporting traffic.)

Debian's xymon package ships /usr/share/doc/xymon/README.encryption
with hints how to implement encrypted reporting with Xymon.

The current version can be found in our packaging git repository at
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/xymon/blob/master/debian/README.encryption
although I'm thinking about renaming it to README.encryption.md as I
wrote it in Markdown syntax.

It also refers to this more detailed documentation:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/System_Monitoring_with_Xymon/Administration_Guide#Encryption_and_Tunnelling

HTH!

		Kind regards, Axel
--