[Xymon] Can we discuss data flow? XYMON theory of operation

Bruce Ferrell bferrell at baywinds.org
Sat Jun 22 23:22:00 CEST 2019

I think this might be useful for getting some of these "less that usual"
features going

I think we all know xymond listens to port 1984.  It also starts up sub
processes that some how communicate with xymond.

Some handle delegated tasks from data provided like generating RRDs,
updating web pages etc.

Others independently collect data by performing network tests of various
kinds (MY current favorite is snmp polling).

Here is where I start to get hazy.  Using lsof, it looks like the
communications for most part is via FIFO pipes... Named pipes?

Clients collect? Channels Process?  xymond routes the data or clients
and channels listen for stuff intended for themselves in a kind of
free-for-all (not necessarily a bad thing)?

Inquiring minds want to know