[Xymon] Disk monitoring

Schminke_Erik_D EDSchminke at Hormel.com
Mon Jun 17 15:46:31 CEST 2019

What I have found is that the user running "df" against a given file system must have execute permissions on every directory from the parent directory of the mount point all the way back to /

e.g.

For file system mounted at /really/long/path/mountpoint

All directories leading up to it...

/really/long/path
/really/long
/really
/

...must have +x permissions.

Whether you do that at owner, group, or other permissions is a determination you're going to have to make for yourself.  You could add the xymon user to the group assigned to those directories, but if the group has write access to those directories, that could be a security liability for your database.  You could do it on "other" permissions, but that would give everyone with access to your system execute access to those directories, giving them the ability to "cd" into them.  That may or may not be a problem for you.  The third option would be to look into whether your system supports ACLs and through those give just the xymon user +x permissions to just those directories.  Were it me doing it, that would be my preference.

Erik D. Schminke | Associate Systems Programmer
Hormel Foods Corporation | One Hormel Place | Austin, MN 55912
Phone: (507) 434-6817
edschminke at hormel.com | www.hormelfoods.com