[Xymon] monitoring Domain Controllers

Adam Thorn alt36 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Jan 31 20:58:46 CET 2019

On 31/01/2019 18:29, Root, Paul T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Recently, I inherited some Windows machines. Including a pair of Domain
> controllers.
>
> I’m wonderingwhat are somethings I’m going to want to monitor to make
> sure these things keep running?
>
> I have the Powershell client installed no problem.
>
> I see DNS and DHCP services, and am adding those.

Not quite answering your question, but: rather than testing those on the
client, you could also consider a server-side test - e.g. a good way to
check on a DNS server is to send a DNS query and check the response. You
can do that just by adding the "dns" flag in hosts.cfg

http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man5/hosts.cfg.5.html#lbAP

Or to test a DHCP server, send a DHCP request to it - here's a script
that uses the dhcping (sic) tool to do that:

https://wiki.xymonton.org/doku.php/monitors:dhcp

A functioning DC ought to respond to ldap queries, so...

http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/manpages/man5/hosts.cfg.5.html#lbAS

Adam