[Xymon] RRD Files Growing Large

Eliza Danyi danyiem at vcu.edu
Wed Jan 30 22:04:31 CET 2019

Thanks, Dave - Other than the wc for the rrdtool dump and the actual size
of the files mine looks similar to yours. Here are the outputs for those
commands on my box:

$ ls -lh la.rrd vmstat.rrd
-rw-r--r--. 1 xymon xymon 213K Jan 30 14:53 la.rrd
-rw-r--r--. 1 xymon xymon 3.5M Jan 30 15:16 vmstat.rrd
$ rrdtool info la.rrd | fgrep 'index = '
ds[la].index = 0
rrdtool info vmstat.rrd | fgrep 'index = '
ds[cpu_r].index = 0
ds[cpu_b].index = 1
ds[cpu_w].index = 2
ds[mem_swpd].index = 3
ds[mem_free].index = 4
ds[mem_buff].index = 5
ds[mem_cach].index = 6
ds[mem_si].index = 7
ds[mem_so].index = 8
ds[dsk_bi].index = 9
ds[dsk_bo].index = 10
ds[cpu_int].index = 11
ds[cpu_csw].index = 12
ds[cpu_usr].index = 13
ds[cpu_sys].index = 14
ds[cpu_idl].index = 15
ds[cpu_wait].index = 16
$ rrdtool dump la.rrd | wc
  27054  214609 2251244
$ rrdtool dump vmstat.rrd | wc
  28558  216225 11768579

The rrddefinitions.cfg file looks like this:

# Xymon RRD parameters
#
# This defines the number of datapoints stored for each RRD, and the
# RRD "consolidation functions" applied. See the rrdtool documentation
# for details.
#
# NB: Changes here only apply to newly created RRD files. To change
# your existing RRD databases, use the rrdtool utilities to modify
# your existing files.

# include additional sections
directory /etc/xymon/rrddefinitions.d

# Each section key is the column- or data-name reported from your
# client test. Typically this is "cpu", "memory", "tcp", or some
# custom test you have created.

# Definition for frequent ifmib polling (once per 60 seconds)
# The setup for this is identical in granularity to the default
# setup, but since data is fed into the RRD once every 60 seconds,
# we use 5 times as many Primary data points for each of the
# Consolidated data points actually stored in the RRD file.
[ifmib/60]
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:5:576
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:30:576
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:120:576
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1440:576

# This one is the default setup. You can change it, if you like.
[]
        # 576 datapoints w/ 5 minute interval = 48 hours @ 5 min avg.
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:576
        # 576 datapoints w/ 6*5 minute averaged = 12 days @ 30 min avg.
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:6:576
        RRA:MIN:0.5:6:576
        RRA:MAX:0.5:6:576
        # 576 datapoints w/ 24*5 minute averaged = 48 days @ 2 hour avg.
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:24:576
        RRA:MIN:0.5:24:576
        RRA:MAX:0.5:24:576
        # 576 datapoints w/ 288*5 minute averaged = 576 days @ 1 day avg.
        RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:288:576
        # 8064 datapoints w/ 5 minute interval = 28 days @ 5 min avg.
        RRA:HWPREDICT:8064:0.1:0.0035:2016

Does anyone know when the line 'RRA:HWPREDICT:8064:0.1:0.0035:2016' was
added to this configuration by default?

Thanks,
*Eliza Danyi*
Operating Systems Analyst
Virginia Commonwealth University
E-mail: danyiem at vcu.edu

*Don't be a phishing victim -- VCU and other reputable organizations will
security number or confidential personal information.  For more details,
visit **https://ts.vcu.edu/about-us/information-security/common-questions/what-is-phishing/
<https://ts.vcu.edu/about-us/information-security/common-questions/what-is-phishing/>
*