[Xymon] Can't compile 4.3.28 on Ubuntu 18

Shawn Heisey hobbit at elyograg.org
Tue Jan 29 20:17:36 CET 2019

I'm trying to get myself a new server set up.  It's running Ubuntu 18.
I downloaded the source for xymon 4.3.28, installed all of the optional
dependencies except the LDAP libraries, ran ./configure, and got this
error from trying to run make:

-----------
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/local/src/xymon-4.3.28/client'
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-unused -D_REENTRANT -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE
-D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -DLINUX -I/usr/local/src/xymon-4.3.28/include  -o
logfetch logfetch.c ../lib/libxymonclient.a
logfetch.c: In function ‘logdata’:
logfetch.c:210:105: error: ‘intmax_t’ undeclared (first use in this
function); did you mean ‘__intmax_t’?
  bytes exceeds max buffer size %u; skipping some data\n", filename,
(intmax_t)bufsz, MAXCHECK);

^~~~~~~~

                                  __intmax_t
logfetch.c:210:105: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only
once for each function it appears in
logfetch.c:210:114: error: expected ‘)’ before ‘bufsz’
  eeds max buffer size %u; skipping some data\n", filename,
(intmax_t)bufsz, MAXCHECK);
                                                                      ^~~~~
Makefile:41: recipe for target 'logfetch' failed
make[1]: *** [logfetch] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/local/src/xymon-4.3.28/client'
build/Makefile.rules:77: recipe for target 'client' failed
make: *** [client] Error 2
-----------

GCC version is 7.3.0.

I pulled down the SVN trunk code and tried that, which required that I
install the sqlite dev library.  Compiling that version appeared to
work, but 'make install' failed.  It took a little bit of hacking in
some of the makefiles, but I finally did get it installed.  The
requirement for the sqlite dependency is not mentioned in
docs/install.html, by the way.

How should I handle this?  Should I open a bug report somewhere?  Since
the compilation problem doesn't exist in trunk, does that part need
reporting, or just the install problems?  I saw the recent thread about
how old the latest Xymon is, and I share the concern about how that
affects people's perception of the project.

Thanks,
Shawn