[Xymon] drop multiple hosts with wildcard

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Jan 22 19:06:36 CET 2019

On 1/22/2019 8:57 AM, Kris Springer wrote:
> Is there a way to drop all host data for multiple hosts using a
> wildcard?  I know how to drop a single host and erase it's data, but I
> have a long list of IP Cameras that I changed in my hosts file and
> instead of dropping each individual hostname I'd like to drop all hosts
> that start with 'Cam'.  I attempted this but it didn't remove anything.
>
> ./xymon 127.0.0.1 "drop Cam*"

No. You can't use wild cards here. It's dangerous to even think about it.

In our installation, I've written a couple of wrapper scripts which
accept multiple host-names as parameters and loop through them. As a
one-off, you can do

for i in foo bar baz; do ./xymon 127.0.0.1 "drop $i"; done

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska