[Xymon] SNMP Traps - We are converting to Xymon from BB

Jason Hildreth - NOAA Federal jason.hildreth at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 12 19:05:03 CEST 2018

Greg...

I am using the built in BB trap handler.  When a trap is received by BB it
is packaged and stored in the <BBHOME>/var/trap location.  At that point
the trap is sent by BB to "itself" and this is where I am confused as to
what is happening.

We have two BBDISPLAY systems and I we are trying to send traps to both.  I
sent a test trap to the machine called BBTG2 via its IP address.  When I do
a strace on the bbdtrap process that is running it shows that the trap is
being sent to the BBTG1 system instead of "itself" which is the BBTG2
system.  I think that this process may be using the bb-hosts file like a
/etc/hosts file where it is looking for the first line and assuming that is
the local system.  Since BBTG1 and 2 use the same bb-hosts file the top
system in the list is the BBTG1 system on both systems.  At this point all
traps are being sent to the BBTG1 system.  Since I can't see the actual
code for bbdtrap and/or the bbtrap-handler process as they are both BINARY
files it is kind of hard to determine how the program works internally.

 Additionally, the only configuration file for the trap handling is called
snmptrapd.conf which states only to use bbtrap-handler and send the trap to
a tmp file on the system.  There are no other configuration files for the
SNMP trap handling on the Big Brother system.

Thanks
Jason

--

Jason Hildreth

Middleware, Programming, Systems Administrator

Infrastructure and Web Services Branch

NCEP Central Operations

5830 University Research Ct

Room 1155