[Xymon] XymonD --merge-clientlocal issues

Galen Johnson solitaryr at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 05:49:22 CEST 2018

By "whole server" I assume you just mean restarting the xymon server (app,
not machine)?  I usually restart the server but that's because I'm
impatient and want immediate gratification for those types of changes.  As
far as I recall, that shouldn't be required.  It also shouldn't hurt to do
so since it restarts fairly quickly (at least for my small environment).

=G=

On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 3:29 PM Timothy Williams <tlwilliams4 at vcu.edu>
wrote:

> [...]
>> first  look for  a section named after the hostname of the client; if such
>> a section does not exist, it will look for a section named by the operating
>> system of the client. So you can configure special configurations for
>> individual hosts, and have a default configuration for all other hosts of a
>> certain type.It will often be practical to use regular expressions for
>> hostnames.  To do this you must use*
>>

>> *           [host=<expression>]*
>>

>> *where <expression> is a Perl-compatible regular expression. The same
>> kind of matching can be done on operating system or host class,
>> using           [os=<expresssion>]           [class=<expression>]Apart from
>> the section delimiter, the file format is free-form, or rather it is
>> defined by the tools that make use of the configuration.*
>>

>> I just went through this recently so it was fresh in my mind :-).
>>
>> =G=
>>
>> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 1:50 PM Thomas Eckert <thomas.eckert at it-eckert.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> That's what works for me. I remember that the correct syntax, in
>>> particular with regexes, is slightly different across the config files.
>>>
>>> On Oct 16, 2018 19:39, Timothy Williams <tlwilliams4 at vcu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> Yes, that's right about tasks.cfg. It had other start parameters, and
>>> have added the merge.
>>>
>>> Do you think that it needs [host=server1] rather than just [server1]?
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 1:30 PM Thomas Eckert <
>>> thomas.eckert at it-eckert.de> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Tim,
>>>
>>> for future readers: There is an error in the man page
>>> `xymond(8)`: `--merge-clientconfig` in `xymond(8)` is **wrong**. The option
>>> `--merge-clientlocal` documented in `client-local.cfg(5)` is correct.
>>> You added this in `tasks.cfg` to the launch of `xymond`, right?
>>>
>>> I have this running successfully in a Linux-environment with
>>> host-specific (`[host=%www.*]`) and class (`[linux]`)-sections and the
>>> sections merge fine.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Thomas
>>>
>>> On 16 Oct 2018, at 17:40, Timothy Williams <tlwilliams4 at vcu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> We have set up a new 4.3.28 xymon server, and will be migrating hosts to
>>> it in the next few weeks. On it I would like to start to use the
>>> --merge-clientlocal command. In testing, Windows powershell clients pick up
>>> either the individual host section OR the powershell section, it does not
>>> merge. Are there subtleties not in the man-pages that people have found to
>>> get it to work? (note that the xymond man-page states to use
>>> --merge-clientconfig, but that doesn't work either)
>>>
>>> Could it be the section/host headings, or order? I have:
>>>
>>> [server1]
>>> file:somefile
>>>
>>> [server2]
>>> file:different file
>>>
>>> [os=powershell] (also tried [class=powershell] and [powershell] alone)
>>> xymonlogsend