[Xymon] WinPSClient - Client can't get local server name

Scot Kreienkamp Scot.Kreienkamp at la-z-boy.com
Thu Nov 29 16:13:35 CET 2018

Hi everyone,

I have one Win2008 32 bit server that I'm trying to install the WinPSClient on.  When I try to install it I get this:

C:\Program Files\xymon>powershell.exe ./xymonclient.ps1 install
You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.
At C:\Program Files\xymon\xymonclient.ps1:934 char:81
+         if ($script:XymonSettings.clientlower -eq 1) { $clname = $clname.ToLower <<<< () }
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (ToLower:String) [], RuntimeException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

Service "XymonPSClient" installed successfully!

So I set clientfqdn and clientlower to 0 which eliminated the errors but the Xymon server never shows any information or ghost clients with the server name.  To start troubleshooting I looked at the data file produced by the client and found the server name is missing from the first line produced by the client:

client .powershell powershell XymonPS

It looks like I could define it in the script, but every time the client is updated by the Xymon server it will get overwritten as it doesn't look like there's a way to define it in the config file.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm not a Windows scripter.

Scot Kreienkamp | Senior Systems Engineer | La-Z-Boy Corporate
One La-Z-Boy Drive | Monroe, Michigan 48162  | * 734-384-6403 | | * 7349151444 | *  Scot.Kreienkamp at la-z-boy.com<mailto:%7BE-mail%7D>
www<http://www.la-z-boy.com/>.la-z-boy.com<http://www.la-z-boy.com/> | facebook.<https://www.facebook.com/lazboy>com<https://www.facebook.com/lazboy>/<https://www.facebook.com/lazboy>lazboy<http://facebook.com/lazboy> | twitter.com/lazboy<https://twitter.com/lazboy> | youtube.com/<https://www.youtube.com/user/lazboy>lazboy<https://www.youtube.com/user/lazboy>

[cid:lzbVertical_hres.jpg]

This message is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is addressed.  It may contain privileged, confidential information which is exempt from disclosure under applicable laws.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disseminating or distributing this information (other than to the intended recipient) or copying this information.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by e-mail or by telephone at the above number. Thank you.