[Xymon] CLASS question

me at tdiehl.org me at tdiehl.org
Thu May 31 22:44:48 CEST 2018

On Thu, 31 May 2018, John Thurston wrote:

> Gotta admit, though, the 'CLASS' attribute has never scratched an itch I
> have. What business problem does it solve for anyone else? I'm not trying to
> pick a fight. I just can't see its value and have never defined one.

In my particular use case, I use it to distinguish between windows machines
and Linux machines. I have several different classes of windows machines defined
such as win32, win64, e2k13, etc. that automagically select the configuration
on the xymon server. I have never tried to define more than one class though.

The win-ps-client configuration file lets you define a class which makes
configuration of windows machines easier when using central configuration.

If you don't do Windows then that might be why you have never used it.

Regards,

Tom