[Xymon] Variables in config files

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Wed May 16 20:18:21 CEST 2018

On 5/16/2018 9:53 AM, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:
> Yes, I realize I could use the .default line, but I can’t set that once
> then have that available everywhere.  If I change it later in the config
> then it won’t be available to the rest of the config yet to come.

I'm not contesting your desire for a variable (or 'macro'), but ponder
your statement about .default. lines.

Something set in a .default. line remains the 'default' until changed in
a later .default. line. It can be altered per-host without affecting its
status as a 'default'.

0.0.0.0  .default.   # nopropred:+msgs

0.0.0.0  foo.xyz.com # nopropred:-msgs
0.0.0.0  bar.xyz.com #

0.0.0.0  .default.   #
0.0.0.0  baz.xyz.com #

In the above example, hosts foo and baz will propagate their red msgs
results. Foo, because the default value has been overridden with a
specific tag. Baz, because the default value has been changed.

Answering your specific question about variables. The 'macro' capability
available in alerts.cfg is not available in hosts.cfg

If I had to solve the problem you are describing, I'd probably create
create a meta-hosts.cfg and a post-edit-processing script to implement a
macro function similar to what is available in alerts.cfg. It wouldn't
be too hard to:
  grep all lines leading with $
  build a sed command file with search/replace from those lines
  sed the meta-hosts.cfg to create an active hosts.cfg

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska