[Xymon] custome scripts for windows servers

Beck, Zak zak.beck at accenture.com
Fri May 4 12:37:24 CEST 2018

Hi Chris

BBWin or WinPSClient do not have a built in scripting language, they only support scripts that the OS already knows how to run. This will depend on what tools you have installed on your servers.

By default, Windows servers will definitely run VBScript (VBS) and most newer versions (Windows Server 2008 onwards, Windows 7 onwards) will run Powershell.

There are a number of script samples in BBWin in the externals folder and for WinPSClient, the documentation is fairly complete in this area.

Both BBWin and WinPSClient can return data from any script if that script writes a text file to the tmp folder (which is a subfolder of BBWin or WinPSClient).

Below is a Powershell example of testing DNS lookup for google.com - this is not necessarily the best way to test DNS, it is provided as a simple example of an external script.

If this were saved as "google-dns.ps1", and a SHA1 hash of the file generated, it can be used with the WinPSClient by adding a line like this to client-local.cfg - you do not need to replace the {script} with anything, the client will do that:

external:everyscan:sync:http://<xymon server>/PS_Updates/google-dns.ps1|SHA1|<sha1 value>|powershell.exe|-executionpolicy remotesigned -noprofile -file "{script}"

Cheers

Zak

param(
    [string] $TestName = 'googledns'
    )

$scriptdir = split-path -parent $MyInvocation.MyCommand.Definition
$datadir = join-path $scriptdir '..\tmp' -Resolve

$groupColour = 'green'

try
{
    $results = [System.Net.DNS]::GetHostAddresses('www.google.com')
}
catch
{
    $groupColour = 'red'
    $message = "Error performing DNS query: $_"
}

if ($groupColour -eq 'green')
{
    $ips = $results | foreach { $_.IPAddressToString }
    $message = "Result of DNS query:`r`n"
    $message += ($ips -join "`r`n")
}

$timeFormatted = Get-Date -Format 'dd-MMM-yyyy HH:mm'
$output = `
@"
$($groupColour)+10m $TestName as at $timeFormatted (updated approx every 5 minutes)

DNS query for www.google.com

$message

"@

$dataFile = Join-Path $datadir $TestName
$output | Set-Content $datafile