[Xymon] HELP INSTALL XYMON-CLIENT ON AIX 6.1

EDSchminke at Hormel.com EDSchminke at Hormel.com
Thu Mar 15 14:25:16 CET 2018

Well, today's your lucky day.. I went through the process of building the
latest client (v4.3.28) for AIX 6.1 just a couple days ago.  Unfortunately,
it wasn't as simple as "extract; ./configure.client; make; make install" as
the documentation would have you believe.  I had to jump through some
hoops.  I'll tell you what I did.

If you run into any problems.  Please include any output in your replies.

First, in order to compile, I needed to have a number of open source
packages installed.  You can get all of them from "perzl.org".

I already had a GNU C compiler on my machine, but if you don't, you'll need
that:
http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Gcc

I needed to install the following extra packages.  For the PCRE packages,
you need to be sure to install both the MAIN package AND the "devel"
package.
http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Make
http://www.perzl.org/aix/index.php?n=Main.Pcre

After installing those packages, I had to make a slight modification to one
of the Make files.  In "build/Makefile.AIX", I commented out lines 14 and
15, and uncommented lines 10 and 11.  The result of doing this is, the
build process would use "GCC" instead of the IBM "cc" if it is installed.
There MIGHT be a flag available to specify which to use and avoid modifying
these files.  I haven't looked.  I just opted with that approach

After making those changes, you should be able to run the
"./configure.client" script, but I had to run it this way:

# MAKE=gmake ./configure.client --pcreinclude /usr/include
--pcrelib /usr/lib

To deconstruct that, it sets the MAKE variable so the script uses "gmake"
instead of "make".  Also, it's ttelling it where it is supposed to find the
PCRE include files and share libraries.  On my system it was "/usr/include"
and "/usr/lib" respectively.

After that, the configure script passed and complete successfully.  From
there I was able to simply run "make; make install" and when that was
finished, I cd'd to the install directory I specified, and ran
"./runclient.sh start"

If you're going to install this on multiple AIX machines, you do not have
to do the build process on each machine.  I just tar up the directory where
I installed on the one machine, and extract it out onto the other machines.
In order for that to work, you have to have, at a minimum the PCRE package
installed.  Xymon won't run without it.

Dependency hell is no fun.  I installed Make and PCRE with the "--nodeps"
flag and managed to get away with it.  Your milage may vary.

Just in case, here is a list of packages I have installed.  Not ALL of
those will be needed for this install; this is just what I have my machines
currently.  If you don't have them, most if not all of these, should be
available from "perzl.org".

Build machine:
cdrecord-1.9-7
mkisofs-1.13-4
gdb-6.0-1
tcl-8.3.3-1
tk-8.3.3-1
expect-5.32-1
libgcc-4.0.0-1
libjpeg-8b-1
gcc-4.2.0-3
libgcc-4.2.0-3
libstdc++-4.2.0-3
gcc-c++-4.2.0-3
AIX-rpm-6.1.7.0-8
zlib-1.2.4-1
libstdc++-devel-4.2.0-3
bash-4.1-4
libpng-1.2.43-1
sysbench-0.4.12-1
AfterStep-1.8.10-1
grep-2.22-1
gettext-0.10.40-8
pcre-8.39-1
make-4.1-1
pcre-devel-8.41-1

Client machines:
cdrecord-1.9-7
mkisofs-1.13-4
osinstall-1.2-1
pcre-8.39-1
AIX-rpm-6.1.7.0-5

Erik D. Schminke | Associate Systems Programmer
Hormel Foods Corporation | One Hormel Place | Austin, MN 55912
Phone: (507) 434-6817
edschminke at hormel.com | www.hormelfoods.com