[Xymon] False positives for hobbit-plugins libs test

Jaap Winius jwinius at umrk.nl
Tue Jul 10 03:14:14 CEST 2018

Quoting Axel Beckert <abe at deuxchevaux.org>:

> At least the mysql case should be fixed in hobbit-plugins 20180610,
> see https://bugs.debian.org/873838. The according changelog item:
>
>   * Whitelist multipath-related /[aio] false positives for mysql/mariadb
>     servers in libs check. Thanks to Daniel Rieken for the bug report!
>     (Closes: #873838)
>
> Don't know what causes libvirt-qemu case. If the fix for mysql
> mentioned doesn't fix it for libvirt-qemu, too, the output of "lsof -p
> <pid-of-libvirt-qemu-binary>" might give some hints.

Hi Axel,

Thanks very much! On all of the Debian stretch systems affected by the
mysql issue, I could fix it by creating /etc/xymon/libs.local.yaml
with the following contents:

   # local config file for the libs test
   ---
   whitelist:
     /usr/sbin/mysqld:
       - '^/\[aio\]$'

It looks like the same problem causes the libvirt-qemu issue, but I
was only able to fix it on one of the two affected Debian stretch
systems by adding similar content to the same file:

   # local config file for the libs test
   ---
   whitelist:
     /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64:
       - '^/\[aio\]$'

On that system, Xymon was reporting:

   The following processes have libs linked that were upgraded:

   libvirt-qemu:
     /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 (4561)

(Even though there were almost a dozen qemu-system-x86_64 processes
running on this system).
However, on the system where this whitelist configuration had no
effect, the message was also different:

   The following processes have libs linked that were upgraded:

   libvirt-qemu:
     /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 (deleted) (3779 3852 3933 4008 4081
4155 4229 4304 4376 4496 4683 4809)

'(deleted)'? Could this have something to do with it?
On that system I also tried this variation:

   # local config file for the libs test
   ---
   whitelist:
     /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64:
       - '.*'

... but that didn't work either.

As for the Debian wheezy systems, although they don't have the same
.yaml files, is there another way to solve the same problem on these
systems?

Thanks again!

Cheers,

Jaap