[Xymon] State of the art for monitoring ESXi hosts?

xymon at asitshouldbe.com xymon at asitshouldbe.com
Wed Jan 31 23:04:25 CET 2018

I use a custom Perl script that connects to all of my ESXi servers (about 21 of them) and generates a single page that lists each host server, its version, RAM usage, disk space usage per datastore, host uptime, which virtual machines are on them, and the power state of each VM.

It flags VMs that are powered off and hosts that have been up for more than 365 days. I'm not sending alerts for these at this time, but the page that is generated points these things out.

Actually, the 21 hosts are broken up into three different pages depending on the location of the host.

That gives me a pretty quick way to find out which host a particular VM is running on.

It uses ssh to connect to each host and run a series of commands on the hosts. Then it processes the results. I'm using it on ESXi 5.0, 5.5, and 6.5. Running all these commands on the hosts is time consuming, so I don't know how scalable this is.

Strict environments may have security concerns about having ssh enabled, but it works for me.

The attachment is a screen capture of the output.

Ron

John Thurston <john.thurston at alaska.gov> wrote ..