[Xymon] State of the art for monitoring ESXi hosts?

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Wed Jan 31 21:39:12 CET 2018

I used to use bb-esx, which I had modified and renamed xymon-esx.   Upgrading to ESXi 6.x broke it, if I remember correctly.

I ended up using devmon with connecting to the ESXi server.   That gives me interface stats and states of the VMs (power, location, OS, and status).
And IPMI connecting to the ILO of the hardware, providing disk, temperature, fan, power supply.

And a custom script that looks at the hardware raid.

From: Xymon [mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] On Behalf Of Kris Springer
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2018 2:02 PM
To: John Thurston; xymon at xymon.com
Subject: Re: [Xymon] State of the art for monitoring ESXi hosts?

I'd be interested in that as well.  I abandoned those particular tests a while ago because they didn't give much info.

Kris Springer

On 01/31/2018 11:07 AM, John Thurston wrote:
Can anyone offer a 'state of the art' statement regarding Xymon and VMWare ESXi hosts (versions 6.0 and 6.5)? Looking in the archives, I see a little content from several years ago.

It's now 2018. What are y'all monitoring, and how are ya' doing it?

This communication is the property of CenturyLink and may contain confidential or privileged information. Unauthorized use of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the communication and any attachments.