[Xymon] Forwarding custom status messages between Xymon servers

Root, Paul T Paul.Root at CenturyLink.com
Fri Sep 29 21:06:51 CEST 2017

So by customer status messages, do you mean tests (columns) that you create with outside scripts or do you mean communications of existing tests?

So what I do, is I have XYMON2 (to use your naming) as a proxy and a server.  The proxy listens on port 1984, and the server listens on 1985. Then the proxy forwards everything to port 1985 locally and to port 1984 on XYMON1. You have to handle disabling and such a little carefully (cascade those from XYMON1 to XYMON2 port 1985) or a broadcast storm happens. But it works well otherwise.

[xymond]
        ENVFILE /etc/xymon/xymonserver.cfg
        CMD xymond --listen=0.0.0.0:1985 --pidfile=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymond.pid --restart=$XYMONTMP/xymond.chk --checkpoint-file=$XYMONTMP/xymond.chk --checkpoint-interval=600 --log=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymond.log --admin-senders=127.0.0.1,$XYMONSERVERIP,XYMON1 --store-clientlogs=!msgs

[xymonproxy]
        ENVFILE /etc/xymon/xymonserver.cfg
       CMD $XYMONHOME/bin/xymonproxy --server=XYMON1,127.0.0.1:1985 --listen=0.0.0.0:1984 --report=$MACHINE.XYMON2 --no-daemon --pidfile=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonproxy.pid
        LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonproxy.log

[xymonfetch]
        ENVFILE /etc/xymon/xymonserver.cfg
        CMD XYMONDPORT=1984 $XYMONHOME/bin/xymonfetch --server=XYMON2 --no-daemon --log-interval=60 --id=1 --pidfile=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonfetch.pid
        LOGFILE $XYMONSERVERLOGS/xymonfetch.log

At the alerts end, XYMON2 monitors XYMON1, and when it can't see it, takes over by copying the alerts.cfg file in place. This is the rule:

HOST=XYMON1 COLOR=red SERVICE=bbd,conn DURATION>2
        SCRIPT /usr/local/scripts/xymSecondaryTakeOver $NG-IM-ONCALL
        MAIL $NG-IM-ADMIN

Then there is a fall back script:

HOST=XYMON1 COLOR=red SERVICE=bbd,conn RECOVERED
    SCRIPT /usr/local/scripts/xymSecondaryRelease $NG-IM-ONCALL
    SCRIPT /usr/local/scripts/html_mail.pl $NG-IM-ADMIN

Lastly, XYMON1 handling disables and acknowledgements inf tasks.cfg:

[distribute]
#       DISABLED
        ENVFILE /usr/lib64/xymon/server/etc/xymonserver.cfg
        NEEDS xymond
        CMD xymond_channel --channel=enadis --log=$XYMONSERVERLOGS/distribute.log xymond_distribute \
                --peer=XYMON2:1985 --peer=XYMON3:1985