[Xymon] Graphing Question

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Fri Oct 27 09:41:21 CEST 2017

Daniel

As you have suggested, there are several ways to do this. Xymon has a few
built-in mechanisms to support graphing, that BB didn't have. Check out the
man page for xymongraph, or the equivalent web page <
http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/howtograph.html> for more
information.

The key with the built-in methods is being able to present the data values
to Xymon in a structured format for it to be able to parse (eg NCV format
status message, "trends" message). If you want to handle the parsing and
graphing yourself, you can hook into the messaging stream directly (eg the
status channel) or you could create a script that periodically fetches the
current status message and parses it for the interesting data.

The way I tend to do telemetry collection and reporting is to do minimal
work on the Xymon client and most of the work on the Xymon server. You
might choose to report the status that includes a message body with a
machine-parseable format, perhaps in HTML comments if you don't want the
raw data displayed; then you have a server-side script get the status
message from the Xymon server and create a data message, which Xymon uses
to create and update RRD file(s). Another option is to arrange for the
client to add information into the client message (eg by adding a script
into the "sections" directory) and then server-side extract that section
from client message for parsing and feeding the data into Xymon.

However, it's possible to do most of the work on the client, and generate
"data" or "trends" messages (separately to any status messages you might
want the client to send), and they get injected directly into the graphing
parts of Xymon.

Hope that helps.