[Xymon] Request for server specs

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Thu Nov 16 22:54:22 CET 2017

As Scott starts to say, "It depends".

In our Xymon implementation, all the business-logic is handled on the
clients (as it was in the old Big Brother days). Each client interprets
its logs and services and decides what color "message" to send to our
server. In this respect, our server requirements are very modest.

For 700 authorized hosts, our instance of Xymon on solaris consumes less
than 500MB of RAM (including the Apache web server), and requires about
30GB of disk space (including several years of logged data).

If we were doing server-side processing of the logs and messages, I
expect our RAM, CPU, and storage consumption to be higher.

One area I would not skimp is network connectivity. By this, I don't
mean the speed of the cable connecting the machine. I mean the
implementation of the network interface. Our Xymon would probably be
able to run in the RAM, CPU, and storage of a Raspberry Pi. I would not
try to do so, however, because the network interface on the Pi isn't
designed to handle hundreds (or thousands) of simultaneous conversations.

Are you trying to spec a virtual machine? A physical machine?
What OS do you like? How many clients are you hoping to handle?

Give us more information, and we can give you better answers.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration
State of Alaska

On 11/16/2017 12:35 PM, Scot Kreienkamp wrote:
> Depends, of course, on how many systems it’s going to monitor, what
> kinds of tests, etc.  It can run on anything that will run Linux
> decently.  You can compile it from source or use a binary if there’s one
> available.

. ..