[Xymon] Big RRD files causing problems

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Nov 9 04:19:49 CET 2017

David

RRD files are fixed in size - they never grow. The only grooming that would
need to be repeated periodically, would be RRD filenames that are dynamic
in nature. These are for things such as mounted filesystems, which can
change over time (but usually don't), and for tracked logfile linecounts
where the logfilenames are populated by backticks. These types of dynamic
RRD files typically have commas in their names, such as
"lines.,var,log,messages#error.rrd" or "disk,home.rrd".

I can imagine a situation where an automounter magically mounts a USB stick
to some random mountpoint dirname, and Xymon dutifully starts collecting
data for it, but when the USB stick removed, the RRD file stays. Then the
next USB stick that's inserted gets a new random mountpoint dirname, and
hence a new RRD file. And so on.

I would be looking for new RRD files that appear out of nowhere, or ones
that have not been updated for a while, and try to find out where they come
from.

Cheers
Jeremy