[Xymon] Annyoing logic in alerts.cfg

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Thu Mar 30 13:12:15 CEST 2017

Den 30-03-2017 13:01, Even Hauge Juberg skrev:

> This has sent,
since yesterday, 200 OK messages to my inbox. The result from the
-dump-config looks like it would produce the result I want and need, but
it just will not stop with the annoying "OK" messages.

Add the "--cfid"
option to xymond_alert (in tasks.cfg). Then either restart Xymon
entirely, or do a "kill -HUP " on the xymonlaunch process and then kill
the existing xymond_alert process (it will then automatically restart
with the new option enabled).

Next time you get one of these messages,
the mail subject will include the linenumber of the rule in alerts.cfg
which triggered the message.

[mailto:xymon-bounces at xymon.com] P VEGNE AV Henrik Størner
> SENDT:
torsdag 30. mars 2017 12.12

Juberg skrev:

>> *snippet from my alerts.cfg*
>>
>> _HOST=*
RECOVERED=1_

>> _ IGNORE HOST=*_
>>
>> _HOST=one-host
SERVICE=http_

>> _ MAIL _someuser at domain.local [1]_ COLOR=red_
>>

>> _ MAIL _someuser at domain.local [2]_ DURATION>5 COLOR=red_

Several problems here.

> * "IGNORE" is for a recipient. If you want
to exclude a host it is "EXHOST=". But having a "HOST=* EXHOST=*" does
not make sense.
> * It is "RECOVERED" by itself, not "RECOVERED=1".
> *
Judging from the whitespace (the blank line), you want the first
"HOST=*" to be a rule by itself. It is not, a rule must have a recipient
(MAIL or SCRIPT). So all of what you have from this bit of alerts.cfg go
into one rule, and probably ends up being interpreted as all "http"
alerts going to the two mail addresses, and both of them receiving
recovery notifications. Try running "xymoncmd xymond_alert
--dump-config" and see how the parsed configuration looks.

>> What
I'm trying to accomplish is to stop the "I'm OK - recovered" messages.
Those messages are irrelevant, so I want those filtered out. The problem
though, is that the logic is completely off on this point. The first
rule for some reason takes presedense, even though I have explicitly
told it to only use that rule IF the host has recovered, no?

> I want
it to skip that rule, if it has not yet recovered, send mail to the
first user immediately, then to the other user after 5 minutes, but
leave those users alone if the service is OK again. Is there a way to
accomplish this?

> If you don't want any messages about recovered
hosts, just dont put "RECOVERED" anywhere in your config. They are not
enabled by default.

Links:
------
[1]