[Xymon] host and test names with dots

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Mon Mar 20 21:07:37 CET 2017

On 3/20/2017 10:51 AM, Root, Paul T wrote:
> Hosts can have dots in them. The default is that you give FQDN.
>

> I’ve never tried for a test name. My gut feeling is that you couldn’t do
> that.

I can't see how the server would be able to parse the message. Is
'foo.bar.com.baz' a test named 'com.baz' for host 'foo.bar', or is it a
test named 'bar.com.baz' for a host named 'foo'?

 From what I recall of my last read of the source, the parser assumes
dot is the delimiter, and the last field is the test name. Everything to
the left of that is the hostname. The above example would be parsed as a
test named 'baz' for host 'foo.bar.com'

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Enterprise Technology Services