[Xymon] questions

Chad Rodriguez CHrodriguez at PetSmart.com
Thu Jun 22 17:12:34 CEST 2017

Disregard, I thought your tool was specific to Xenapp/Citrix based application monitoring. Sorry for the bother, I’ll look elsewhere for a solution.

Respectfully,

Chad Rodriguez | Systems Administrator
19601 N. 27th Ave., Phoenix, AZ 85027
office: 623-587-2385 | fax: 623-580-6117
email – chrodriguez at petsmart.com<mailto:chrodriguez at petsmart.com>
[PetSmart_logo_email.jpg]
Upcoming Out-of-Office dates:
June 26th through July 4th
July 21st

From: Jeremy Laidman [mailto:jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au]
Sent: Thursday, June 22, 2017 8:02 AM
To: Chad Rodriguez <CHrodriguez at PetSmart.com>
Cc: xymon at xymon.com
Subject: Re: [Xymon] questions

Chad

What does the director do? How does it communicate with the servers?

Does the director or the server create a log message when there's a problem? Xymon can detect and alarm on that.

Does the director connect to the servers on a specific TCP port? If that port is rejecting a connection, the Xymon server can test for that (every 5 minutes, but can be more often) and alarm on it.

When a server fails, does it stop listening on a particular TCP port? Or perhaps a process crashes and restarts, causing the connection to fail? Xymon can test for these and alarm when it detects a missing listening or established TCP socket, or a missing process.

It's also possible to write a script to have Xymon look at the process listing "ps" output, and look for a particular process's lifetime, and alert when it's less than 5 minutes.

One thing to note is that Xymon's probes and processes typically look for things every 5 minutes. Transient failures that come and go within a few seconds may not be detected using the standard probes and checks. However, the frequency of some of these probes can be increased to make it more likely to catch failures. But also, a custom script can be written to check the state as often as you need. However for transient faults, it's more reliable to look for artefacts of a failure (log errors and warnings, short process lifetime) rather than periodically checking for a successful state.