[Xymon] xymon client bindaddress

Thu Jun 8 01:46:31 CEST 2017

On 8/6/17 07:46, Frank wrote:
>    Hi,
>
>     I am doing something that I don't think has been done with xymon
> before.  We are running asterisk on a failover
> heartbeat system.  When the failover occurs heartbeat shuts down
> everything on the primary server and xymon
> goes nuts.  So I set up heartbeat to stop xymon when it shuts
> everything else down. Now when the "floating IP"
> goes to the secondary server, the secondary starts up all the services
> and I set it up for xymon to start too.  I was
> thinking would be a great idea if I could bind xymon to the floating
> IP the same way I do it for the rest of the
> services.  So far during tests it seems to be working out ok without
> the binding, but may be necessary after all.

When you say "xymon" do you mean xymon-client or are you running the
xymon server components on this redundant system?

It seems to me that running the monitoring system on the same system
that you are monitoring is likely to lead to problems (ie, on total
system failure you won't be told about it). I would suggest to run the
monitoring on a 3rd server, which is stand-alone from this pair. Xymon
doesn't care which IP address the client reports originate from, as long
as the name is correct.

However, I would advise to have both systems report status individually,
with their own names, then you can see the status of each server in the
pair. In order to alert and see the status of the services provided by
the pair, then you can use combined status such as procs on serverA OR
procs on serverB = procs green for Service and so on.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
Adam