[Xymon] Avoid email storm

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Jun 7 23:29:47 CEST 2017

On 6/7/2017 1:29 PM, Asif Iqbal wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 4:26 PM, Ryan Novosielski <novosirj at rutgers.edu
> <mailto:novosirj at rutgers.edu>> wrote:
>
>     I stop the MTA sometimes when I know this is about to happen.
>

> In our case, we do not see a pattern when the firewall is crashing.

Flap detection and delaying the alert might help, but delayred=
(hosts.cfg(5)) might be a better option for handling this, depending on
the number of network tests you have.

If the entire server is behind the FW or you have some other
programmatic way of determining what will be on the other side of this
FW, I'd suggest adding (either via route or depends) data in regardless
(you might be able to get creative with sed or perl to make this
addition easier). I've found the more flexibility you can give yourself
in describing what you're testing, the more options you'll have for
coping with situations like this.

HTH,
-jc