[Xymon] Critical System Page -- HTTP 500 Error

EDSchminke at Hormel.com EDSchminke at Hormel.com
Fri Jul 28 17:06:32 CEST 2017

My Data Center operators have informed me that the Critical Systems Page
becomes unavailable for them due to an "Internal Server Error".  This
occurs predictably every night for them at approximately 2:45 (GMT-5) and
lasts approximately 30 minutes.

This problem has been impacting their ability to ensure that they properly
inform us if any of our systems with sensitive SLAs become unavailable.  A
quick solution would be appreciated!!

I started monitoring the Critical Page through Xymon itself for about a
week now and have included the history.  There seems to be no useful
information that I have found in any Xymon or Apache logs.  I also see no
way of enabling any debugging logs for this script.  I enabled the --debug
option in cgioptions.cfg, but that cause a bunch of info to be displayed on
the page, and that produced even more complaints, so I turned it back off.

There is a series of entries in /var/log/messages every time the URL for
the page is requested.  During the time when the Critical Systems Page is
unavailable, no other CGI script that is part of Xymon has any issues.  (I
offer that up because all of these scripts are the same, hard-linked file.)

The /var/log/message file shows me that ABRT is also capturing crash
information.  It *was* discarding this information until I enabled the
option for ProcessUnpackaged
in /etc/abrt/abrt-action-save-package-data.conf.  I have included all of
the files (excluding the sosreport data; not sure if that might contain
sensitive infomation or not).

All of this information I have placed into my GitHub repo for people to

If I can include any other information about this crash, please let me
know.

Thanks!

Erik D. Schminke | Associate Systems Programmer
Hormel Foods Corporation | One Hormel Place | Austin, MN 55912
Phone: (507) 434-6817
edschminke at hormel.com | www.hormelfoods.com