[Xymon] [External] Powershell client from external server

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Mon Jul 17 01:36:05 CEST 2017

Jason

The Xymon server has support for receiving client messages over CGI, which
means whatever protocols and (optionally) authentication your webserver can
support. This is achieved via the xymoncgimsg(8) CGI binary, which accepts
a client message in POST data, and returns the Xymon server response in the
body of the HTTP(s) response.

The xymoncgimsg CGI is not enabled by default, but just requires copying
(or symlinking, if permitted by your web server configuration) to a cgi-bin
directory.

I'm no Powershell programmer, but it might be possible for someone to
enhance the Powershell client to have an option to submit client messages
via web services, apparently using "Invoke-WebRequest". If I had time, I'd
have a crack at it myself.

This technique has been used with curl in the past:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.monitoring.hobbit/27772. One can get
curl for Windows. Although hacking the PS client to support curl is
probably almost as much effort to hacking it to support URLs natively.