[Xymon] xymonnet timeouts?

Richard Hamilton rlhamil2 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 03:50:46 CET 2017

In this case, "dialup" isn't literal, they're VMs under type II (hosted)
hypervisors - VirtualBox or Parallels, in this case.  Since the hosts don't
have gigantic amounts of RAM, the VMs are only brought up when needed
(testing, development, updates, or nostalgia for some other OS); but when
up, should be healthy, with all their usual services running.

Another dialup is my laptop, which is usually where I am, not necessarily
back home with the xymon server. :-)  Since it has neither builtin cellular
nor do I have an always-on portable cellular hotspot (although the phone
can do that duty occasionally in the absence of a proper one), there's no
way for it to be connected all the time, either.

Likewise, some non-infrastructure devices are dialup, because they're not
on all the time - like a WiFi picture frame, various iDevices, or a game
console.  If the printer didn't have energy saver mode, it would be a
dialup too, because it wouldn't be left on all the time.

Literal dialup with a modem may be rare enough nowadays, but there are
plenty of modern intermittently connected cases for which the functionality
is still useful, IMO.

One way or another, exposing a way to have network tests contingent on
basic connectivity, even when basic connectivity is optional (dialup),
would IMO help, a lot - especially for external tests, of which rpc is the
worst - ntp timeout is very quick by comparison; and RPC libraries come in
different enough flavors that rolling a portable version of rpcinfo with a
timeout option seems a bit tedious (I've looked at e.g. Solaris and Mac
code for rpcinfo, and they're very different internally; the Mac's seems
derived from a really old BSD flavor, more or less).