[Xymon] Xymon Notes Editor

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Thu Dec 21 22:29:58 CET 2017

On 12/21/2017 6:13 AM, Galen Johnson wrote:
> I was actually toying around with the idea of adding TinyMCE or
> something like that.  I've also seen that there are some html code
> snippets that Chrome and Firefox choke on...badly...so I expect I'll
> need to figure out how to make that better.

I started down this path a few years ago. After traveling a bit, I
realized I was creating a wiki inside Xymon. At that point, I stopped :P

We now use a special segment of our existing wiki to hold notes for
Xymon hosts. The pages in that segment may reference each other, and
have included and embedded content. We then export the wiki content (as
one would if creating a static, or cached version), and import it into a
directory on our Xymon server. The export/import happens as a regular
xymon task.

We use HTML in our "DESCR" tag in the hosts.cfg to link each host to the
appropriate local page of notes from the wiki. By use a .default. tags
associated with display groups, we can re-use pages of notes for several
hosts.

We leverage the authentication, editing, and history function of our
wiki. While publishing static content from our xymon server means we
aren't depending on the wiki at 2am.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration