[Xymon] NAME directe isn't working

John Thurston john.thurston at alaska.gov
Tue Dec 12 18:38:45 CET 2017

The "NAME" directive is not doing what you think it is doing.

Each host is defined once in Xymon. It may appear on several lines, but
there is only _one_ entry for the host in the "database". Which line
Xymon uses depends on what is on the line. Look at the "PREFER"
directive for more information on that decision. You may change the NAME
of the host, but only one time.

Your host "srv02.foo.com" can be displayed as "Server Xymon", but it can
not be displayed elsewhere as "Test"

I've used "combo tests" to work around this limitation. If I had an
actual host named "foo.bar.com", for which I wanted both display names
"A" and "B", I'd do something like:

:: hosts.cfg ::
0.0.0.0  foo.bar.com		# name:A
0.0.0.0	 foo.bar.com.local	# name:B testip noconn

:: combo.cfg ::
foo.bar.com.local.msgs = foo.bar.com.msgs

The "testip noconn" combination keeps xymonnet from trying to perform
name resolution for my fake hostname. The entry in combo.cfg populates
the msgs test for my fake hostname.

John Thurston    907-465-8591
John.Thurston at alaska.gov
Department of Administration