[Xymon] Suggestion: monitor CPU utilization by process

Ribeiro, Glauber glauber.ribeiro at experian.com
Wed Aug 30 23:20:20 CEST 2017

I created a server-side extension that gets the "ps" information from the client data (already available), parses it, etc. I thought I was set, but it turns out that ps reports the percentage of CPU utilization over the lifetime of the process. This makes it useless for monitoring CPU utilization by long-running processes, because the data becomes flat.

At the moment I'm running
tprof -x sleep 60
on the client side, then sending over the output (using the client/local mechanism). Then, my server-side program (which I had already written) obtains the information from the server using a "xymon clientlog" call, and parses it. (If I didn't have the server-side part already written, I probably would have run it entirely on the client side, for simplicity.) I also use "NCV" to generate a graph on the server.

The information obtained this way is the percentage of CPU utilization by the top processes during the time interval sampled (1 minute, since I'm running "sleep 60"). It parallels much better what one can get, for example from "topas". If this were Linux, I might have used "top" instead of "tprof", but AIX's version ("topas") is for interactive use only. And "tprof" allows me to vary the length of the sampling interval. I have a feeling that 60 seconds is too much; 30 or 15 should be enough.

This seems to be working. I'll know better after a few days. The graph is a very valuable tool for validating this kind of stuff.