[Xymon] how to enable/disable an alert automatically (or make an alert conditional upon something else)?

Ribeiro, Glauber glauber.ribeiro at experian.com
Mon Aug 28 21:46:24 CEST 2017

Hello,

We have a very common situation where there are 2 servers, one being the production server, and the other its “spare”. If anything happens to the production server, we need people to be alerted even if it’s the middle of the night. On the other hand, if the spare server has problems, we may not need to wake people up.

The server roles swap periodically (the one that is production this month may be spare next month, and vice versa).

I can tell which one is production by watching for the existence of certain “flag files”, but I can imagine other places would have different mechanisms.

The question is: is there a way in xymon, to make an alert conditional on some other piece of information? Some way to handle this kind of situation, where the “decision” on the criticality of a server is outside xymon?

I think I could handle this by sending the alert to a script, and having logic in the script to send the communication or not. But I’m wondering if there is a better way, and I imagine that this kind of situation is common enough that people here must have seen it.

Thanks,

glauber