[Xymon] Xymon 4.4 Alpha

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Wed Sep 28 19:27:04 CEST 2016

On 9/28/2016 5:38 AM, SebA wrote:
> Hi list,
> Xymon 4.4 Alpha was released at the beginning of April, virtually 6
> months ago (although I do not think it was ever announced, except via
> the subversion commits and changes- that is all I can find). It was
> great to watch so many commits coming in leading up to that and Xymon
> really seemed to havegood momentum.  But it seems to have been losing
> it since then.  Has anyone been using or testing this version?  Have
> you got any bug reports, or has it all been working fine for you?  If
> so, any messages saying so may encourage others to try it and help
> progression towards a stable release. If you didn't know about it, and
> want to try it, I think that would be great!  (Browse here:
> https://sourceforge.net/p/xymon/code/HEAD/tree/branches/4.x-master/ or
> checkout of subversion with this command: svn co
> https://svn.code.sf.net/p/xymon/code/branches/4.x-master/ xymon-4.4-alpha)
> BTW, a 4.4-alpha folder was created on SourceForge on 1st April (and I
> do not think it was an April Fool's joke!), but no file is visible there.
> Kind regards,
> SebA

Well, it wasn't intended as an April Fool's joke, that's for sure!

Development on 4.x hit the classic 90/10 issue, where the first 90%
takes 90% of the time, and then the final 10% takes the next 90% of the
time. The primary unexpected outstanding issue has been around the TCP
connection code's integration with compression and SSL. I know both of
those were (two of) the major features that people were looking forward
to in 4.4, so I'd wanted to ensure both of those were working before a
"real" announcement had been made. Unfortunately, integrating those
parts of the code that were working in 4.3 into the new 4.4 version is
more complex than I'd expected.

I think for areas not involving those two features, the code base may be
sufficient for an alpha. A generated tarball would help get more eyes on
it certainly.

Regards,
-jc