[Xymon] RRD Graph not working

Japheth Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue Sep 20 00:34:16 CEST 2016

On 9/19/2016 1:06 PM, Foster Patch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am attempting to make a custom graph work. I attempted following the
> directions here:
> http://xymon.sourceforge.net/xymon/help/howtograph.html Here is the
> page on xymon:
>
> In xymonserver.cfg, I have TEST2RRD=”cfengine=ncv”
>
> I also created a line in xymonserver.cfg that reads
> “NCV_cfengine=”cfexecd:GAUGE”
>
> I restarted xymon after making these changes.
>
> I go on my xymon server and check
> /var/lib/xymon/rrd/redhat6-v01…..com/ for cfengine.rrd but it is never
> created. No data is being collected. Is there something I am doing wrong?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Foster

A few things to check:
- I'm not certain if the test name parsing looking for graphing is case
sensitive, but it's possible that this needs to match the case of the
incoming test name.

- You'll want to make sure the existing env variable data is still
present in TEST2RRD, I usually use the += feature, so:
TEST2RRD+=",cfengine=ncv"

- Depending on your xymond_rrd settings, it may be caching the initial
output prior to writing out the RRD file the "first" time. If you're
manually sending data points in, not enough may have come in to cause
the cache flush to trigger. A second bounce of xymond_rrd would fix this.

- If any changes have occurred to the schema of the RRD file
(adding/removing RRA's), it might need to be deleted (easiest) so that
xymond_rrd can recreate it according to its new configs.

Also, if you're restarting xymon manually, remember that the entire
xymond_channel process controlling the xymond_rrd process must be killed
(so xymonlaunch can restart it). If xymond_channel is still running,
xymond_rrd will still only get the original environment from before your
changes.

HTH,
-jc