[Xymon] Formatting errors on log files

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Sat Oct 15 02:52:39 CEST 2016

On Fri, October 14, 2016 3:52 pm, Greg Krpan wrote:
> Recently, my monitoring has been generating frequent errors that are
> false,
> due to improper formatting,  It is happening on both Windows and Linux
> clients.  I've included an example of how the tests are sending data back
> to the xymon server.  I have not made any changes to my client or server
> configurations.  Has anyone else been experiencing this behavior, or know
> of a fix?
>
> Greg.
>
> Name                                StartupType  Status
> DisplayName
> AeLookupSvc                         manual       stopped
> Application Experience
> ALG                                 manual       stopped
> Application Layer Gateway Service
> AppIDSvc                            manual       stopped
> Application Identity
> Appinfo                             manual       stopped
> Application Information
> AppMgmt                             manual       stopped
> Application Management
> AppReadiness                        manual       stopped        App
> Readiness
> AppXSvc                             manual       stopped        AppX
> Deployment Service (AppXSVC)
> AudioEndpointBuilder                manual
> toppe]        Windows Audio Endpoint Builder
> Audiosrv                            manual       stopped        Windows
> Audio
> BBWin                               automatic    started        Big
> Brother Xymon Client
> BFE                                 automatic    started        Base
> Filtering Engine
> BITS                                automatic    started
> Background Intelligent Transfer Serv
> ce
> BrokerInfrastructure   ]            automatic    started
> Background Tasks Infrastructure Service
> Browser                             disabled     stopped        Computer
> Browser
> CcmExec                             automatic    started        SMS Agent
> Host
> CertPropSvc                         manual       started
> Certificate Propagation
> CmRcService                         disabled     stopped
> Configuration Manager Remote Control
> COMSysApp                           manual
> started        COM+ Sys]
> m Application
> CryptSvc]
>                          ]
> utomatic    started        Cr]
> tographic Services
> DcomLaunch   ]
>                      automatic    sta]
> ed        DCOM Serv]
>  Process Launcher
> defra]svc                           manual       stopped        Optimize
> drives
> DeviceAssociationService            manual       stopped        Device
> Association Service

Hi Greg,

Is there anything unusual about the process names on the lines immediately
before the corruption? There's a known issue in that lines starting with a
bracket will cause missing data, and this can happen more frequently on
Windows servers just by virtue of some of the data that's coming across,
but that doesn't appear to be causing this specific issue.

Can you confirm which version of Xymon server you're using? Do you see the
same corruption in the "raw" Client Data for the affected servers, or is
it only occurring on the status pages?

Also -- anything unusual in the log files? Has this problem been constant
since it started, or is it getting worse? Does restarting the xymon
service fix it (temporarily)?

Regards,
-jc