[Xymon] Can't match alerts.cfg rules

Jake xymon at epperson.homelinux.net
Sat Nov 5 21:14:37 CET 2016

I have 4.3.27-1.el7.terabithia running on Centos 7, and can't get any
rules in alerts.cfg.to match and fire an alert.

I have in hosts.cfg:

192.168.2.31 phone-sales # conn

In alerts.cfg:

 HOST=phone-sales COLOR=red
 MAIL somebody at gmail.com
## Wildcard rule
 HOST=%^.*$ COLOR=red
 MAIL somebody at gmail.com

Made the wildcard rule a regexp because "HOST=*" wasn't working, and
added the host-specific rule because no wildcard was working. But if I
trigger a red on host phone-sales, in alert.log I see:

Checking criteria for host 'phone-sales', which is not yet defined; some
alerts may not immediately fire

What am I missing? I retired a year and a half ago, and have been out of
practice, so feel free to start with "You dummy...."