[Xymon] disk graph page limits total file systems

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Tue May 17 23:53:37 CEST 2016

On Tue, May 17, 2016 11:26 am, EDSchminke at Hormel.com wrote:

> I'm having some trouble with the disk graph pages for hosts that have
> numerous file systems reporting in.  The limit seems to be 85.  There are
> 5
> file systems displayed on each graph and there are 17 graphs max on this
> page.  If I view the trends page for those host, all of the missing
> filesystems are graphed.  85 seems pretty arbitrary.
>
> I've gone through and cleaned up the RRD files from $XYMON/data/rrd/$HOST
> that are "stale".  Cleaning some of these out, which would otherwise not
> be
> listed, permit the filesystems that were trimmed to then be listed on the
> graph page.  Still, not all of the filesystems make it on the graphs.
>
> I searched the mail archive, and didn't find a solutions.  I found a
> discussion of changing the [disk] section to [disk::10] for 10 filesystems
> per graph... that prevented the graphs from being generated at all.  My
> thinking was, perhaps if i increase the number of filesystems per graph,
> 17
> graphs would be enough for this particular system.
>
> In any event, I'm wondering if this is a bug or a configurable.  It
> actually works fine in a previous version of xymon. (v4.2.2 works,
> v.4.3.24).  Thanks!
>
> Erik D. Schminke | Associate Systems Programmer
> Hormel Foods Corporation | One Hormel Place | Austin, MN 55912
> Phone: (507) 434-6817
> edschminke at hormel.com | www.hormelfoods.com

Erik,

85 isn't an intentional hard limit here. I've been scanning through the
showgraph code and it seems like the reallocation should be able to
continue as needed (whether not having a hard limit at all is a good idea
is a separate question...). There's a reference to 16 arguments to
rrd_graph, however that's a per-graph value and I don't believe it would
affect the number here.

A couple of next steps:
- Can you increase to disk::6 or 7 and see if there's a point where the
parsing of that number breaks?
- Does it constantly die at the same partition being graphed?
- Are there any errors coming out in /logs/ or the httpd error log, or
core files left?
- Are there any unusual file conditions in that directory?

I'd definitely suggest upgrading to a new version for security purposes,
but I don't think any fixes addressing this area specifically are present.

There were a lot of changes between 4.2.2 and 4.3.x, so it's hard to say
exactly what might be contributing there.

HTH,
-jc