[Xymon] routing between xymons

Henrik Størner henrik at hswn.dk
Mon May 16 14:14:06 CEST 2016

Hi,

Den 13-05-2016 kl. 17:13 skrev Ron Cohen:
> Hello there...
> we have here a pretty big production environments, and even bigger
> non-production.
> I've configured xymon for both, but the guys that do the actual
> monitoring objected to have alerts coming from non-production servers,
> since those are mostly non-crucial - they don't want to see any of
> those reds on their screens.
> I played for some time with the alert propagating, but  it won't do,
> so sadly I disabled all the non-prod clients.
> The obvious solution (unless there's a simpler one) is to start
> another xymon on different port and different URL. the problem is that
> it requires a firewall setting, which is a major headache to make.
> what i thought of, is to do routing at the bb port, so incoming
> clients will be routed according to the IP origin to the prod and
> non-prod xymond (say ports 1985 & 1986).
> It is not difficult to implement,  but before pythonizing it, i wonder
> if there is an existing solution within xymon which i missed, or
> anyone else already done it?
Xymon doesn't have a built-in solution to this - at least not that I can
think of.

You could do it with firewall rules on the Xymon server, though. I
suppose your non-prod servers are on another IP network (if not, the
rules will be a bit messy)? With a Linux-based Xymon server you would
setup some iptables redirection rules like

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -s ${NONPRODNETWORK} --dport 1984 -j REDIRECT --to-ports 1985

where NONPRODNETWORK is the IP network for your non-prod servers
("192.168.10.0/24" or whatever). Xymon requests sent from the non-prod
servers to port 1984 on the Xymon server will then transparently be
modified to hit port 1985 on the Xymon server.