error running report.sh

Jason Brockdorf apocalysque at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 16 02:09:28 CET 2016

I'm still working on setting up Xymon (from the terabithia RPMs) and my manager tells me today that there's an error message when trying to run reports, like the availability report, snapshot report, etc.
I'm getting an error message: Cannot create output directory
When examining the logs for more details I don't get a whole lot to go on.  I checked with both httpd and xymon logs and I didn't see anything relevant to this problem.

I'm really trying to help myself and not make my problems everyone else's problems, and I'd really like to contribute to the community in some way, so here's what I've done so far to try to fix it:
1. going to the /var/cache/xymon/ directory and creating a rep directory2. giving rwxrwxrwx permissions to that directory
I then managed to download the srpms from terabithia, find the offending file and examine the source to see what happens.
The XYMONREPDIR environment variable is used in creating the directory where the report will go, but I don't know:
1. How to check which process is running the file that's encountering the problem (httpd or some xymon process)2. How to check for the presence or value of this variable in the environment that process is using
So I decided to see if I could modify the source and make xymon give me a little more information.  The resultant patch file is attached, though be forewarned, my C experience is limited to a primer class I took as a freshman in highschool and on top of not having that much knowledge in the first place, I'm very rusty.

>From what I understand in the source there's not much error checking or information provided if it fails.  I do see:
envcheck(reqenv);
But this by itself doesn't prevent continued execution if say my $XYMONREPDIR is not found.
Well, I added a line to report which directory xymon is attempting to create, and another which should report the error message if the attempt was unsuccessful.  I did manage to create the attached patch file, but I was unable to recompile using the srpm *sniffle* <-- I'm crying from frustration at this point
So, I downloaded the source from sourceforge, replaced the report.c file with the one I made, compiled using that, copied the report.sh file to a working xymon server to try to test it... and I get internal server error :(
I then went back to test it on xymon compiled from sourceforge source, and I get an error that I don't have permission to access that directory. *rips hair out*
Thus, it would seem that I am unable to reproduce the problem with "stock" xymon, and I'm apparently not bright enough to fix it with terabithia srpms either.  At this point, I feel like I've put in enough effort to warrant asking for help.  Anyone, please help?