[Xymon] strange behavior

Mon Mar 14 00:21:02 CET 2016

On 13/03/16 17:41, Jason Brockdorf via Xymon wrote:
> Well, I figured it out.
>
> I uninstalled and reinstalled xymon server to see if using all stock
> would help and it didn't.  All I added back into hosts.cfg was ONLY
> the IPs and hostnames with no page definitions.
>
> It was then either one of two things that I noticed (I didn't wait
> long enough between doing both of them to know which one fixed it...)
>
> First: I commented out the default #directory/etc/xymon/hosts.d line
> (because I noticed everything above was working and everything below
> was not) and then I noticed something else while waiting for it to update:
>
> In my history.log there was a bunch of lines: 2016-03-13
> 00:15:10.061160 Cannot create
> /var/lib/xymon/histlogs/someservername/cpu: File exists
> (someservername was one of the offenders)

Well, this was certainly one of the problems...

> So I went and deleted everything in /var/lib/xymon/histlogs
>
> After that everything magically started to appear on the main page.  I
> believe it was deleting the directories in histlogs that fixed it
> because they didn't all come back at once, they came back a few at a
> time (just as my winscp was deleting the directories serially instead
> of all at once) but that could be the client updates were coming in at
> different times as well *shrug*.
>
> I'm sure it was something I did wrong but it was extremely frustrating
> to say the least.  Perhaps Xymon could try to append (is that
> appropriate for those files?) in such a situation instead of just
> logging an error and giving up?

The problem is that it was a file, and it should be a directory. Xymon
doesn't delete the file (because it might contain valuable information),
but it needs a directory to store it's information in multiple files. So
the best it can do is log a message to "alert" you.

> Thanks for all your help everyone that tried.

Glad it is working for you now.

Regards,
Adam
--