[Xymon] NTP test flapping for remote systems

Joel Brunenberg ml at jjim.de
Fri Mar 4 15:20:52 CET 2016

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 09:38:35PM -0800, Bruce Ferrell wrote:
> I have a few remote systems and to be sure ntp is working, I have them
> set for the ntp test. even though the time is never out of sync, I get
> periodic failures of the test.

If I understand it correctly, the xymonnet check "ntp" does nothing else
than a

    ntpdate -u -q -p 2 <target>

interpreting the result. You may have luck with debugging if that on its
own fails from time to time. Also the report of the check in case of
failure (since you say its flapping it must have a not OK state
sometimes, doesn't it) may provide clues about the reasons for the check
failing in the first place.

Greetings,

  /jbn

--