[Xymon] Xymon Client Short Hostname

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Wed Jun 1 11:19:18 CEST 2016

On Wed, Jun 1, 2016 at 5:11 PM Stef Coene <stef.coene at docum.org> wrote:

> On 05/31/2016 11:27 PM, Ryan Novosielski wrote:
> > So here’s some followup: many of us have had this problem before, and it
> seems OS-specific. Is there any way to get this more right by default? I
> see that many/most of my entries in hosts.cfg have CLIENT:<hostname>
> specified. My server is Solaris 10, my clients are a mixture of things.
>

> In theory, a hostname contains no domain suffix.

Yes, possibly.  What the xymon client uses as a "hostname" when it creates
a client message is $MACHINEDOTS, which the output of `uname -n`.  POSIX
defines this as the "network node name" which doesn't really say if it's
the FQDN or the shortname.

> So you should never have a FQDN in your hosts.cfg

So what if you have www.internal.example.com <http://www.in.telstra.com> and
www.example.com?  It seems to me that the primary attribute for a hostname
is for it to be unique.  On the Internet, that generally means FQDN.