[Xymon] devmon goes purple

Jeremy Laidman jlaidman at rebel-it.com.au
Thu Jul 7 01:56:56 CEST 2016

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 4:53 PM Dirk Kastens <dirk.kastens at uni-osnabrueck.de>
wrote:

> it seems, that this very old problem occurs again. I wrote a mail to
> devmon-support, but didn't get an answer.
>
> We are using Xymon 4.3.27-1.el6.terabithia on Scientific Linux 6.7.
> Everything was running fine until the latest kernel update to
> kernel-2.6.32-642.el6.x86_64. After that, devmon stops working from time
> to time. The processes still are running but all devmon tests go purple
> until I restart devmon. There's no entry in the devmon logfile.
> Does anyone else have the problem?

Used to happen to me also.  I think I ended up having a cron job test, kill
and restart.  But that was a long time ago, and it hasn't been a problem
for a while.  Sorry I can't help other than to confirm it's not just you,
and also happens with older kernels.

It might not be the kernel that did it.  You'll have rebooted to get the
new kernel running, so it could have been caused by any other effect of
rebooting.  For instance, the fault might have been triggered by simply
stopping and starting devmon.  If you're at liberty to boot back to the
previous kernel, you might find it still has problems.