[Xymon] log monitoring hostname matching trouble

EDSchminke at Hormel.com EDSchminke at Hormel.com
Wed Jan 13 15:43:14 CET 2016

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your reply.

First, I am aware of the 10 minute interval.  I did observe that when
working with an AIX system.  I mention that because I am able to get log
monitoring  to work there, but not with a Linux system.  That is to say, I
do get a "logfetch.[hostname].cfg" file in $XYMONHOME/tmp, and changes come
in approx ten minutes after being made on the XYMON server at
$XYMONHOME/etc/client-local.cfg

Is there anything I can do to reduce the 10 minute interval for testing
purposes?

-----
Entering "xymoncmd"

[root at lpcobwas2p ~]# su - xymon
-bash-4.1$ export XYMONCLIENTHOME=/home/xymon/client
-bash-4.1$ client/bin/xymoncmd
sh-4.1$ whoami
xymon
sh-4.1$ pwd
/home/xymon
sh-4.1$

----
All files in /home/xymon are owned by xymon, group xymon and are writable

sh-4.1$ find . ! -writable
sh-4.1$ find . ! -user xymon
sh-4.1$ find . ! -group xymon
sh-4.1$

$XYMONTMP/msg.$(hostname).txt is getting updated every five minutes, as
expected:

sh-4.1$ ls -la client/tmp/msg.$(hostname).txt
-rw-rw-r--. 1 xymon xymon 152566 Jan 13 08:00
client/tmp/msg.lpcobwas2p.hfc.ad.txt
sh-4.1$ ls -la client/tmp/msg.$(hostname).txt
-rw-rw-r--. 1 xymon xymon 148917 Jan 13 08:05
client/tmp/msg.lpcobwas2p.hfc.ad.txt
sh-4.1$

-----
I sent this file manually to the xymon server, but got no output

sh-4.1$ $XYMON $XYMSRV "@" < $XYMONTMP/msg.lpcobwas2p.hfc.ad.txt
sh-4.1$

-----
Sending your suggested test string yields the following:

sh-4.1$ $XYMON $XYMSRV "@" << EOT
client $MACHINE.linux linux
EOT
log:/var/log/messages:10240
ignore MARK
sh-4.1$ echo $MACHINE
lpcobwas2p,hfc,ad
sh-4.1$

Interesting... but a) why doesn't that come back with the message file and
b) it still doesn't match the hostname

-----

Lastly.. I'm still not clear on the correct format of a hostname definition
for client/etc/client-local.cfg

Should it be

lpcobwas2p (just hostname)
lpcobwas2p.hfc.ad (period)
lpcobwas2p,hfc,ad (commas)

Thanks,

Erik D. Schminke | Associate Systems Programmer
Hormel Foods Corporation | One Hormel Way | Austin, MN 55912
Phone: (507) 434-6817
edschminke at hormel.com | www.hormelfoods.com