[Xymon] Phantom red statuses (Fwd: Xymon [750466] mgmtconsole:msgs CRITICAL (RED))

J.C. Cleaver cleaver at terabithia.org
Fri Feb 12 00:07:41 CET 2016

Hi Greg,

The flapping warning is what tips it off. Flap-detection in xymond
functions by looking at alternating alert states (eg, red/green) happening
within a certain period and "pegging" it at the higher status while it's
going back and forth. This prevents spurious recovery messages and
untimely pager death.

The thing is, though, for a normal functioning 'msgs' test it's almost
impossible for it to actually flap out of the box. The logfetch program
which controls the raw data sent to xymond_client for evaluation actually
walks back 6 "periods" (run cycles) in the log file and sends all
subsequent data up to xymond. This helps with mitigating any lost messages
by turning the 'msgs' test into a "Recent Errors in the Log" test instead
of a direct reflection of the event, since xymon is a state-based
monitoring system rather than a single-fire-and-forget (trap) based
system.

Out of the box, a single red event will cause the msgs test to remain red
for a solid 30m -- far too long for flapping to get triggered in most
cases.

Is there any chance you have multiple servers reporting in with the name
'mgmtconsole'? Especially if you're not using FQDN (which it doesn't seem
like you are), that seems like something that might cause this: Two
different servers with the same name, each sending their own red/green
states every few minutes.

HTH,
-jc