[Xymon] CLASS not working as expected

Steve Hill steve at opendium.com
Wed Feb 10 16:31:02 CET 2016

Under Xymon 4.3.25, I'm trying to use the class attribute to group hosts
together by what monitoring and alerting they need.

So for each host I have a hosts.cfg line like:
192.0.2.1	somehost.example.com	# CLASS:Foo trace ssh

Then in analysis.cfg I have:
CLASS=Foo
	PROC	this
	PROC	that

And alerts.cfg has:
CLASS=Foo
	SCRIPT=blah

However, the tests in analysis.cfg are not being applied.  If I replace
CLASS=Foo with HOST=somehost.example.com they work as expected.  Also,
CLASS=linux seems to work, which implies that the CLASS: directive in
the hosts.cfg is being ignored.

As far as I can tell, the messages on xymon's "client" channel don't
contain the class name that was specified in hosts.cfg, so xymond_client
is using the class that the client sent instead.  Other channels, such
as "status" do include the class name that was specified in hosts.cfg.

Am I misunderstanding how the class is supposed to be used, or is this a
bug?

--
  - Steve Hill
    Technical Director